Re: acknowledging reviewers better (was Re: Diversity considerations)

John C Klensin <klensin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Agreed, but note that, if you want such acknowledgments to be useful
    > for some of the purposes you and others have argued they would help
    > with, you may need to figure out how to differentiate between a review
    > that addresses the document substantively and makes a contribution to
    > its quality and one that has substantive content equivalent to "I'm the
    > designated Fubar team reviewer. I know nothing about the subject matter
    > of this document, but I found a comma out of place in the middle of the
    > second paragraph of Section 6.6.6".

I agree that this is an issue, but I feel confident that good sense will
prevail.

    > Speaking as someone who has always tried to acknowledge the authors of
    > review comments that are actually helpful and who generally tries to
    > resolve questions in which there is doubt about whether an
    > acknowledgment is needed by including it, I'm not completely sure what
    > the issue is.  As I read our IPR rules, that behavior is just about
    > required.  Or, put differently, whether we need actual additional rules
    > and procedures or just more attention to general guidance.

I think that weneed more attention, and some additional proceedures that will
tweak people to pay more attention.

    > Would you consider it useful if, following the example of many
    > journals, we simply posted a list of active "team" reviewers (or all
    > reviewers during IETF Last Call at regular (annual?)  intervals?  That
    > at least would not require acknowledging content-free reviews in the
    > documents themselves, thereby diminishing the perceived value of
    > acknowledgements for actual contributions.

So, I think that many journals do this because the reviews are double blind.
They can not acknowledge reviewers in the document themselves, because that
would be unblinding one side.   But, I'm not sure that this really goes far
enough.  My impression is that tenure committees do not really look at the
list of people who have done reviews.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [