RE: Opsdir last call review of draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif-14

Hi, Paul:
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Paul Eggert [mailto:eggert@xxxxxxxxxxx]
发送时间: 2018年9月29日 1:50
收件人: Qin Wu; ops-dir@xxxxxxxx
抄送: draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif.all@xxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx; Ken Murchison; tzdist-bis@xxxxxxxx
主题: Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif-14

Qin Wu wrote:

> [Qin]: I can understand 8-octets accommodate 1-octet record, but How does 8-octets data block accommodate 12-octet record, I can not understand.

The draft does not say that data block sizes are multiples of 8 octets, and indeed they need not be multiples of 8 octets. Data blocks are merely concatenations of octets, with no padding or alignment. If a field requires only
1 octet, exactly 1 octet is appended to a data block. If it requires 8 octets, exactly 8 octets are appended to the data block. If it requires 12 octets, exactly 12 octets are appended to the data block. So it doesn't matter how many octets a field requires: whatever number that is, that's the number of octets that appear in the resulting data block.

[Qin]:12 octets are appended into the same 8-octet data block? I assume 1000 octets can be appended into that 8-octet data block. It looks you are using some kind of compression algorithm.

> [Qin]: how does 44 octets header can be inserted into such "header for 32-bit transitions"? Does header for 32-bit transitions stand for 4 octets header?

The header for 32-bit transitions is a 44-octet header. There is no "insertion"
of one header into another; there's just the one 44-octet header.

> [Qin]: You are using plura, i.e., "32-bit **transitions**".

Sorry, I've lost context. I guess you are suggesting that we make a minor wording change to clarify a point about the 32-bit transitions, but I don't know what the point is. Could you suggest a specific wording change that would make things clearer?
[Qin]: I don't understand the meaning of 32 bit transitions,  does this mean one header comprise multiple 32 bit transitions? Does it mean one header length is 32 bit?
For 32 bit data block or data for 32 bit transitions, does it mean one data block comprise multiple 32 bit transitions or one 32 bit transition?
My suggestion is to provide definition for 32 bit transitions.