Re: why exactly is HRPC for, was Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On 21/09/2018 00:34, John Levine wrote:
In article <cafa1282-ae6a-93de-ea4a-d100af28d8b8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
In the discussion that followed it was remarked that in RFCs terms like
Master/Slave, blacklist/whitelist, man-in-middle, and other terminology
that is offensive to some people and groups is quite common.
If this is really the best that HRPC can do, I would suggest that it's
time for the IRTF to consider whether to shut it down.

[...]
Instead, we get this stuff.  Even if you think that the language in
our RFCs is problematic, which for the most part I don't, I am
confident that no RFC has ever enslaved anyone, nor put anyone on a
secret list that kept them from working (the actual meaning of
blacklist for people who know their history.)

There are real human rights problems that HRPC could engage with, but
don't.  They need to make up their mind whether they're serious.

Well said.

--
Mark Rousell