Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Campbell" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:40 PM

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 11:31 AM, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Ben
>
> I don't understand it! In particular
>
> 'Normative updates that do not use a known extension point should
always
> include an “Updates” header.'
>
> leaves me ignorant.
>
> 'Normative' I am well familiar with from I-D references but that
meaning
> does not seem to apply here (since Normative as a Reference means you
> must understand the referenced work)..
>
> '..known extension point..' I am not familiar with except for a rather
> technical discussion which I read - but did not understand - on this
> list recently.

A known extension point is any mechanism in the original RFC designed to
allow extensibility without modifying the RFC. IANA registered code
points are a common approach. Feature negotiation mechanisms also come
to mind.

Can you suggest a better term for this?

Ben

No:-(  I understand your explanation and see that concept in many
places, but do not know of any generic term for it.  (Thus I think of
YANG augments, but that term would probably not make sense to those not
versed in YANG). Rather, I would like to see your sentence of
explanation or something like it in the statement.

Tom Petch

> To give a practical problem; when an I-D adds new entries to an
existing
> registry, is that an 'Updates'?  I have seen ADs firmly tell WG
Chairs,
> holding the contrary opinion, that it is not, and I thought that that
> was settled, but applying this statement to that situation leaves me
in
> ignorance.

The intent is that these are usually not “Updates”. But they can be if
there are special circumstances, which I presume would be documented in
the text that describes the nature of the update. An individual AD may
or may not agree with an argument that a particular update is “special”
in this sense, but I believe we all agree that such special cases are in
the realm of possibility.

Thanks!

Ben.