Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tictoc-1588v2-yang-09.txt> (YANG Data Model for IEEE 1588-2008) to Proposed Standard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodney Cummings" <rodney.cummings@xxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:22 PM

> > "Those IEEE forms and
> >    mechanisms will be updated as needed during the development of
this
> >    document ..."
>
> Thanks for catching that. I wrote that text originally, but I agree
that
> we need to change it.
>
> When we started the drafts, I coordinated with IEEE's legal team to
determine
> what IEEE would require in order for the work in this draft to
transfer in the
> future to the IEEE 1588 Working Group. In response, IEEE legal created
a simple
> one-page form for each I-D co-author to sign, which we did.
>
> The current form grants a license for the "1588 YANG Model and Module"
> "IEEE 1588, IEEE Standard for a Precision Clock Synchronization
Protocol
> for Networked Measurement and Control Systems".
>
> The forms have standing as is, but IEEE's lawyer asked that if/when
the I-D
> is published as RFC, the co-authors sign the forms again with
> "1588 YANG Model and Module" replaced with the RFC number/name. That
is
> the only action item from the IEEE side.
>
> We could edit the draft to either:
> 1. Remove this sentence and related text, under the assumption that it
isn't
> essential for the document.
> 2. Change the sentence to say "Those IEEE forms will be updated with
the RFC
> number and name after this document is published." (or similar).
>
> We'd appreciate your advice.

Rodney et al.,

A disclaimer; I do not have any specific skills in this area (IPR, IEEE,
legal documents,...) so weigh my comments accordingly.

I think it worth clarifying a little more since the situation may recur
with a different piece of IETF work, perhaps with a different SDO (and I
recall the effort needed for the MIB).

So I suggest
OLD
"Those IEEE forms and
   mechanisms will be updated as needed during the development of this
   document (Note: i.e., RFC XXXX, update it to the actual RFC if
   published) and any future IETF YANG modules for IEEE 1588. "
NEW
"Those IEEE forms and
   mechanisms will be updated as needed
for
any future IETF YANG modules for IEEE 1588. "

And I would like a reference to where the forms are kept.  I would
expect that to be the IEEE's task so perhaps add
"  The signed forms are held by the IEEE Standards Association
department of Risk Management and Licensing."
(hoping that that is true for the IEEE).

And finally, curiosity, does the IETF/IASA keep a copy?  If so, I would
say so, so that a future interested party can have what I would expect
an easier option of accessing the IETF support functions rather than
those of another SDO.  If the IETF etc. do not have a copy, then say no
more i.e. I would not say that we do not have a copy!.

Tom Petch

> Rodney

2Dyang_&d=DwIGaQ&c=I_0YwoKy7z5LMTVdyO6YCiE2uzI1jjZZuIPelcSjixA&r=WA71sf2
o7

Dw7CbYhFt24DPjt3lJuupswWYdnboKbZ8k&m=NFxKcqZGoBTp9Cb3kYMictVY92Qg3RRqRTj
j-
> > ai4dZc&s=Cqj4S_Yu69jW5EMhJTnE6-TGiWjtglJFLYzgwJON4nU&e=
> > >
> > > IESG discussion can be tracked via
> > > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> > 3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dietf-2Dtictoc-2D1588v2-

2Dyang_ballot_&d=DwIGaQ&c=I_0YwoKy7z5LMTVdyO6YCiE2uzI1jjZZuIPelcSjixA&r=