Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-refuse-any-07.txt> (Providing Minimal-Sized Responses to DNS Queries that have QTYPE=ANY) to Proposed Standard

Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, Ólafur Guðmundsson wrote:
>
> > Ted, Would it be acceptable to just do
> > s/TCP/Connection oriented Transport/
>
> For RFC 7901 we used "source-IP-verified transport"

I don't think that's a good idea, because it suggests oversised responses
over UDP with cookies. I wanted minimal-any in order to reduce both UDP
fragmentation and fallback to TCP for all UDP queries from legitimate
clients. (Spoofed queries are dealt with by RRL.)

I suggest:

4.4.  Behaviour over different DNS transports

   A DNS responder MAY behave differently when processing ANY queries
   received over different DNS transports or with different levels
   of client authentication, e.g. by providing a conventional
   ANY response over TCP whilst using one of the other mechanisms
   specified in this document in the case where a query was received
   using UDP.

   Implementers SHOULD provide configuration options to allow operators
   to specify different behaviour over different DNS transports or for
   authenticated clients.

(the TCP/UDP e.g. is just a non-normative example; more outre transports
and options are covered by the normative text)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
Bailey: Northwest 5 or 6, backing west 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Showers.