Re: Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-13

On 08/12/2018 03:25 AM, John R Levine wrote:
>>> truncated, but it's equally valid to do TCP in the first place.
>
>> I'm aware of that. But with traditional DNS, you start with UDP, and
>> may fall back to TCP. DoS'ing the TCP support doesn't DoS the whole
>> system. (If it were the case that 100% of UDP-based resolutions result
>> in a subsequnt TCP-based resolution (which I'm not saying is not the
>> case..I just don't know), then I wouldn't have this concern)
>
> With DNSSEC, the results are large enough that a whole lot of the
> traffic is over TCP,

A whole lot != all. In any case, are there measurements about this?

> particularly on IPv6 where packet fragmentation
> doesn't work reliably.  And in any event, as someone else pointed out,
> https is hardly an untried protocol in hostile enviroments.

A lt of what you need to do to make a TCP-based protocol (such as HTTPS)
to be resilient to DoS doesn't have much to do with the app protocol itself.

Yes, there are lots of folks running TCP-based services in hostile
environments. And if they are to be resilient to Do attacks, they have
to take care of a lot of details. With UDP, you can get away with not
taking care about a lot of them (because it's stateless). That was
exactly my point.

--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks