Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-anima-reference-model-06

Thanks a lot, Joel

MichaelB has the editor pen, so just some quick
thoughts as co-author/chair inline.

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 06:00:39PM -0700, Joel Halpern wrote:
> Reviewer: Joel Halpern
> Review result: Ready with Issues

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-anima-reference-model-06
> Reviewer: Joel Halpern
> Review Date: 2018-08-09
> IETF LC End Date: 2018-08-21
> IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

> Clarity would be improved if the minor issues below were addressed.
>
> Major issues: N/A
>
> Minor issues:
>     Section 2 includes "naming" in the list of services the ANI provides.
>     Which surprised me.  But then section 3 does not include "naming" in the
>     list of services of the ANI in Figure 2 of section 3.1?

4.1 is explaining it. In the ACP document its called the Node-ID.

>     In section 3.2, in the second paragraph on where adjacency information
>     comes from, the text of the second bullet refers to vendor redirects.
>     While I understand that those are an important part of the system
>     information, they do not appear to create an adjacency?  If they do, then
>     the term adjacency needs to be better explained in this section.  The first

Imho, the reference model text is correct. Just like in the non-autonomic
input (third bullet item), this vendor-redirect/cloud-registrar would
lead to an automatically set up remote ACP peer thats enterred into the
adjacency table.

>     bullet in the next list says the same thing.  My best guess is that
>     adjacency sometime means actual topological adjacency, and sometimes means
>     a more general form of adjacency.  As written, I think it will confuse
>     readers.

Hmm.. ACP is an overlay network that tries to match the underlay when
it can (link-local-adjacencies) and that uses remote adjacencies when
it needs to go over non-autonomic parts of the network.

Not quite sure what text to most easily add to make this any clearer..
Any suggestions ?

>     IDevID (referenced in section 3.3.1 at least) appears to be a normative
>     reference.  Devices supporting the Anima Reference Model are required to
>     support that, so understanding how to do so seems necessary for
>     understanding this specification.

802.1AR as already referenced by ACP

>     Does section 3.3.2 intend to mandate that devices have persistent storage
>     for the LDevID?  Or is it trying to say that on power cycle it stays in
>     Enrolled state if it retains its LDevID, but goes back to the Factory
>     default state if not?  (Given that folks have repeatedly said that these
>     may be low power devices, I think we need to be clear about what we are
>     requiring.)

Both options are architecturally valid and the reference model
does not take sides, even though we would expect that LDevID is
persistent in most cases.

I don't think low-power is the criteria for not to have a persistent LDevID,
almost every tiny IoT device i've seen has some available flash cells.

The security model of nodes without writable persistent storage comes
to mind as use-case for non-persistent LDevID (boot from DVD/RO-Flash
only, power-cycle recreates known "good" state on device).

>     Section 5 starts by saying that the administrator does not have to
>     configure security.  In the very next paragraph it says that a PKI must be
>     in place.  That clearly requires configuring some security properties.
>     Please reword.

I had same comment on ACP. I was going to fix it in ACP by saying
"does not need to configure security on any (ANI/ACP) nodes other
than Registrars and other PKI components (CA, CRL-DP,...).

Network can have 10,000 nodes and maybe just 2 registrar/CAs..

>     Section 6.2 says that all ASA must "follow the same operating principles".
>     The general guideliens of what these must cover is then given.  It is
>     appropriate that this document does not specify the detailed behavior.
>     That would go in a standards track document.  But there is no reference to
>     a draft covering that.  So we have text saying that all ASA must follow
>     "something", but no reference as to the content of that "something".  Is
>     this a real requirement?  If so, it appears to be unmeetable.

chair hat on:
There can not be a draft covering this yet, because the current
ANIMA charter didn't allow us to do this. We've got individual drafts
lined up for this topic, we just need to get through the rechartering,
we have started the discuss with our AD and wanted to then bring this to
the WG.

Cheers
    Toerless