Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-06

Hi Juergen,

It seems like I missed your reply earlier. Sorry for that. See inline.

>> Minor issues:

>> Sometimes, when a draft updates an existing RFC, people ask whether

>> implementations not implementing the draft are still compliant with the updated

>> RFC. Based on discussions, the consensus seems to be that existing

>> implementations are still compliant, and if one wants to mandate the new

>> features a bis is needed. I would just like to confirm whether that applies

>> also to this draft. If so, perhaps a note indicating that would be useful, in

>> order to avoid discussions in future?

> An existing NETCONF server not implementing NMDA is still compliant to

> the RFC 6241. However, a NETCONF server implementing NMDA (RFC 8342)

> has to implement this update to RFC 6241. Do you want to have this

> stated more explicitly? (We will have the same for RESTCONF and the

> NMDA update of RESTCONF.)

I think it would be useful.

>> Related to that, it would also be good to have an interoperability

>> statement, saying that implementations that implement the draft will

>> still work with implementations that do not.

> This primarily concerns clients: They need to be able to fallback to

> using <edit-config> instead of <edit-data> and <get> instead of

> <get-data> if they communicate with a non NMDA NETCONF server. I am

> not sure whether this is a "SHOULD be able to fallback" or a "MUST be

> able to fallback".

If you use MUST, you guarantee that fallback will always work (assuming implementations follow the spec). If you use SHOULD, I think you’ll need some additional discussion on when it doesn’t apply, what to do then, etc.

So, my suggestion (from a reviewer perspective) would be MUST..

Regards,

Christer