Re: Last Call: <draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-01.txt> (New protocol elements for HTTP Status Code 451) to Informational RFC

On 3 Jul 2018, at 10:56, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

On 03/07/2018 15:51, Patrick McManus wrote:
Tim's concerns resonate with me as questions a WG really should debate and reach rough consensus on rather than this being an AD sponsored doc (especially as its a defacto update of a standards track document by an informational one). I'm not sure which WG - httpbis did not have a critical mass of interest in this in the past.

If not in HTTPBIS, then where? I don't see energy in creating a new WG to work on this.

There was a lot of active discussion that went into RFC 7725 becoming a standard: if there is not enough energy to discuss a draft that is meant to update this standard, then that's a good indication of what to do with the draft.

Is it better to publish this document than not publish it at all?

It would be better to not even consider publishing it until it has had much more discussion. Tim's statement earlier is spot on: RFC7725 is working as intended. Any proposed update to that standard either must have as much (hard-fought) consensus or should be dropped.