Re: what to do about missing cites and encouraging better citing

 ---- On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 00:16:52 +0100 Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote ----
 > On 25/06/2018 10:29, Randy Bush wrote:
 > ....> i assume a missing cite is not an erratum.  so maybe nothing can be done
 > > other than to encourage authors to be more careful.  in general, the
 > > ietf has a weak culture of good citing.
 >
 > Yes. I mentioned this briefly in
 > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-whats-an-author-02#section-2
 > but didn't detect great enthusiasm in the community for dealing with
 > authorship ethics in general.

>From my own experience, documents like this are very useful out-of-ordinary references, in that you do not need them for document production, but when (not if) normal work derails, structured thinking like this makes it more doable to talk sense back into people (or to confirm to yourself you are doing a right thing).

There is a certain art (which I do not master) in striking the balance between a single normative BCP saying "participants MUST NOT be evil" and total irresponsibility.

The lack of enthusiasm should not demotivate you as it is not rooted in the merits of this document.

--
    Denis Ovsienko