Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-05.txt> (Bootstrapping WebSockets with HTTP/2) to Proposed Standard

On 2018-06-01 23:15, Patrick McManus wrote:
Hi Julian, I apologize this got a little bit forgotten. I will issue a new draft with the last call comments included.

No worries.

... >     4.  The Extended CONNECT Method

        o  A new pseudo-header :protocol MAY be included on request HEADERS
           indicating the desired protocol to be spoken on the tunnel
    created
           by CONNECT.  The pseudo-header is single valued and contains a
           value from the HTTP Upgrade Token Registry defined by [RFC7230].

    I believe it would be good to add a short explanation why it is ok
    to defined a new pseudo header field despite this not being an
    HTTP/2 extension point.

    I realize that using the SETTINGS mechanism one can make
    incompatible changes (and this should be mentioned here), but I'm
    still unconfortable with the consequences, for instance: what if a
    different extension wants to define the same pseudo header field
    with different semantics?

The latest iteration of that discussion is here: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg08134.html <https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg08134.html> .. the wg also considered the question.

It is an interesting question for everyone reviewing the documents, but I don't really think its a very interesting question for someone implementing this protocol. The general question of semantic conflict is something the WG has to handle for all proposed extensions (and registries are never going to cover the full semantic set of potential conflicts.. I would argue that the change in interpretation of :authority is more significant than a new header value) - nothing particular about this one. Maybe we should consider a general document on the topic.

Based on these comments I added a bit more detail to the existing discussion in section 3:

   The use of a SETTINGS Parameter to opt-in to an otherwise
    incompatible protocol change is a use of "Extending HTTP/2" defined
    by Section 5.5 of [RFC7540].  Specifically, the addition a new
    pseudo-header ":protocol" and the change in meaning of the
    ":authority" pseudo-header in Section 4 require opt-in negotiation.

+1

And thank for the other changes.

Best regards, Julian