Re: Agenda experiment for IETF 103 in November in Bangkok

János Farkas <janos.farkas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I'm afraid IETF 103 may not be the best IETF meeting to experiment with
    > ending the IETF meeting on Thursday.

Interesting.

    > Given the unique opportunity of this November, we have started to investigate
    > the possibility of joint workshops of different groups of the two
    > organizations. I'm aware of two: IETF - IEEE 802 Coordination workshop and
    > DetNet - TSN/IEC workshop, but there may be more.

Maybe some of these things could occur on the Friday?

    > IEEE 802 Plenary meetings start on Monday
    > (http://802world.org/plenary/schedule/).

    > Increasing the gap between the two meetings may decrease the participation
    > thus the success of such workshops

So the gap will grow from two days to three days.

I'm not among those who is involved in IEEE802 meetings, but if I were, I
don't think the change would negatively affect my decision to stay: it's not
like I get home a day earlier either way.

(If I were among those who had the time and funding to do both meetings, I
would find the back to back meetings would be a significant dis-incentive to
attend both. I don't think it contributes to cross-fertilization, and I think
that it creates significant family-based barriers to entry)

Having the three day gap might even make the gap easier to enjoy, if one
did bring a family with you.

To me, the only thing that would change this is if we moved the Hackathon to
the weekend afterwards, such that the gap was entirely filled. That would
also potentially mix hackathoners with IETF and IEEE people.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [