Re: Agenda experiment for IETF 103 in November in Bangkok

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:26 AM Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>      > organization.  Suppose someone (or several people) for whom I'm
>      > responsible are really good implementers.  Suppose they come to me
and
>      > say something that I hear as "we would like to go to IETF a day or
two
>      > early, incur additional costs for hotels and the like that we expect
>      > you to pay for, and spend the time doing programming on their work
>      > rather than yours/ the company's".  I wouldn't predict good
results, at
>      > least unless I hear the request as including "if you don't let me do
>      > this, I'm likely to start looking for another job" and, of course,
that
>      > might or might not work.

> "Boss, J,K,Q and I will be working 30 hours overtime (each) that weekend
getting
> the interoperability bugs out of the code before we go to the IETF meeting
> about the specification that determines what code we are supposed to
write".

> It actually won't get to "looking for another job", because the person
likely
> left when the IETF support went away.

Yup, I see the hackathon as something which makes it easier, not harder to
get support for.
I see more of the "we would like to go to the hackathon to work with others
on making sure our thingie works with their thingie. I'd like to stay a few
days extra to attend the IETF as well" -- for some set of people, the
chance for vendor G and vendor H to cooperate is more valuable than the
(perceived) navel-gazing and comma fighting.

    [

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.