Re: Artart telechat review of draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation-12

On 18/05/08 15:49, Andrei Popov wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the review and feedback.
>
> The idea is that:
> - It is an error for the server to respond with a TB protocol version higher than the one advertised by the client. Since the client advertises its highest supported version, it makes no sense for the server to offer a higher version. If this happens, the client MUST terminate the TLS handshake.
> - On the other hand, the server is allowed to offer a lower TB protocol version; if the client happens to support this lower TB version, the connection proceeds with TB. Otherwise, the connection proceeds without TB.

Does that mean clients can never require TB, or that such a requirement
is enforced somehow at the application layer, or something else?

From my experience, clients will do what clients will do -- with no
guidance on what to do when the client really needs TB but the
negotiated support leads to "no TB", there will be several ways clients
will implement TB enforcement, which can lead to interoperability
problems.  I think we'd rather have some up-front guidance if at all
possible.

I'm happy to suggest some text, but it may take me a bit.

- m&m

Matthew A. Miller