Re: Genart last call review of draft-hakala-urn-nbn-rfc3188bis-00

On 5/1/18 12:35 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review result: Ready with Issues

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-hakala-urn-nbn-rfc3188bis-00
> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review Date: 2018-05-01
> IETF LC End Date: 2018-05-21
> IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

> that need to be addressed before publication.
>
> Why is there no shepherd's writeup? It would be good to explicitly let the
> community know why this is proceeding as an individual draft.

Because the shepherd (me) was unavailable last week. I'll provide a
writeup in the next few days. However, the short version is that this
document was slated to be completed by the URNbis WG but was decoupled
from URNbis deliverables because of changes we made to the namespace
registration process between RFC 3406 and RFC 8141 (i.e., IETF consensus
is no longer required for registration of formal namespaces) and because
there was still a desire to update the definition of URNs for national
bibliographic numbers to align with modernized syntax from RFC 8141.

> Issues:
>
> The document uses 2119 in some inappropriate ways. It's fine to use 2119 terms
> when defining how to construct NBN URNs. It's not ok to use them in places like
> "the national library MUST", and "A national library ...  SHOULD specify ... a
> policy" and "libraries MUST agree". Please find a way to say that if a national
> library wants things to work, they will or should do these things.
>
> While I agree with the values expressed, it seems odd for the URN registration
> to try to put constraints on fees that a national library might collect
> (especially using a 2119 SHOULD).

Agreed.

Peter