Re: Planned changes to registration payments & deadlines

Hi Andrew,

On 23/04/18 17:20, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>  beginning with IETF 103, we will require payment upon
> registration,

That makes my life a bit harder. Not sure if it also
affects others hence cc'ing the list.

I usually register early, and make some hotel reservation
at about the same time. Later, I arrange flights via our
travel agent, and then generate one purchase order for
the meeting fee, flights and hotel (I get them to pre-pay
the room cost). They then do the meeting fee payment etc.

The above change will force me to do two purchase orders
which is a pain. And depending on how you link the steps
to register and pay, it might make it very hard for me to
work with our travel agent. (I need to send them a payment
link for the registration, for them to pay. That works
fine now and I hope you don't break that.)

I'd ask that the IAOC reconsider requiring payment at
registration time.

I'm also not that keen on the earlier early-bird. It's
fairly common that I won't know if I want to be present
for the weekend when the hackathon happens until close
to the meeting time. If you do move to requiring payment
at registration time, then that'd make no difference,
but with the current setup, I usually know enough before
the current cutoff to book flights at the same time as
we pay. I'd normally not know that seven weeks before
the meeting though so that change is also a bit of a pain.

If I'm the only one who has these kind of issue then your
suggested changes would likely be correct. If there're a
bunch of others who do similar things, then I hope that
you take that into account and don't make many lives a
bit harder:-)

Thanks,
S.