RE: [lamps] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07.txt> (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification) to Proposed Standard

I just read the whole draft and have the following comments.  Overall, the
draft seems to be in excellent shape.

I apologize if any of these were discussed earlier in the process, before I
started following this draft.  More than happy to create a pull request with
the changes once I get some feedback on these.

Section 2.1:

Is it worth adding "SHOULD support SHA-3" ?

Section 2.2:

"NIST is unable to provide the seeds that were
   used to create their standardized curves, this means that there is a
   section of the community which believes that there might be a back
   door to these curves."

This is a comma splice; recommend changing the comma to semi-colon.

"there is only a requirement for curve in the sending agent list"

I think "only a requirement for ONE curve in the sending agent list" was
meant.

Section 2.7.2. "All algorithms that use 112-bit keys are considered by many
to be weak encryption."

Is the LENGTH of the key, or the STRENGTH of the key intended?

If the former, are there other examples of 112-bit keys other than two key
3DES (~80 bits of strength)?
If not, why not say two key 3DES to be explicit?

If the latter, what's the rationale for considering 112 bits of strength
weak for symmetric algorithms in a standard where RSA-2048 is considered
strong?

I don't find "considered by many" to be a useful statement.  After all, the
world is considered by many to be flat.

-Tim