Re: Becoming better at evaluating and chartering new work proposals (was: Re: BOF into WG...)

Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Speaking as only 1/15th of the ADs, who may need more diet coke before
    > making sense ...

    > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    > wrote:

    >     We hoping to add a replaced-by feature to the datatracker to help
    > people track these name changes.  The tools team is looking for a
    > volunteer to write the code...

    > The other minor point is
    > that https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2418#section-2.4 is still the
    > relevant BCP, and has an absolute prohibition against approving a third
    > BOF.

    > We could also talk, as a community, about
    > why https://tools.ietf.org/html/ rfc2418#section-2.4 thinks second BOFs
    > are exceptional, but one can look through the history
    > on https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki and think about how often
    > we create a WG with only one BOF, or without a BOF at all.

the best work around is to have lunch-time BarBOFs.

They get meetecho support, projectors, and all the like, but aren't BOFs.
It screws with schedules, and unless we are going to do something like
limit everyone to 1hr to get more slots with fewer conflicts, then we
might as want to remove the third BOF limit.

    > I'm stepping down from the IESG next March, no chance of not, and would
    > LOVE for us to be better at getting new work proposals evaluated and,
    > one hopes, chartered when that is the right thing to happen, before I
    > step down. I've thought that was the most important part of my job
    > since I joined the IAB in 2010, and I'm trying ...

I think that the IAB BOF mentoring process has been doing a very good job.

I think we might want to make it easier to re-open a WG.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-