Report from the IAB

Dear colleagues,

As is tradition, here is the IAB report to the community about our activities, submitted so that you can prepare topics you might want to discuss during the upcoming open mic time.  Of course, if you have issues you want to discuss by email, feel free to send your comments to architecture-discuss@xxxxxxx (our public discussion list) or iab@xxxxxxx (to reach just the IAB).

The IAB has a few chartered roles. We confirm the appointments to the IESG and perform standards process oversight and handle appeals. We also perform architectural oversight (including appointing the IRTF Chair), we manage the RFC series and the IETF's relationship with IANA, and we handle liaisons and appointments both to ISOC and to other organizations. We try to ensure that anything we do is part of one of these areas of responsibility, and we try to make sure these are all covered.

Here's what we've been doing since our last report at IETF 100.  You can find mention of each of these on the IAB pages at https://www.iab.org (where there's more background, too).

First, I’m happy to note that there were no appeals during this period.

As noted in the last report, the IAB appointed Adrian Farrel to the post of Independent Series Editor, as a successor to Nevil Brownlee.  The appointment took effect in February, and the two have worked together during this transition. The IAB thanks Nevil for his work on that, as well as for his years of service.

In January, the IAB appointed Tim Wicinski to serve a two-year term on the ICANN Technical Liaison Group (TLG). There was a strong field of candidates, and the IAB thanks all those willing to serve.  The IAB would also like to extend special thanks Warren Kumari for his service on the ICANN TLG from 2014-2018.

In November, the IAB solicited candidates for the Internet Society’s Board of Trustees.  After a community feedback period, the IAB conducted interviews and appointed two Trustees, whom the IESG has since confirmed. The Internet Society coordinates this selection with that of the other communities making appointments, and the public announcement of all appointed Trustees for this cycle will be April 26, 2018.

The IAB is currently reviewing candidates for the post of IETF liaison to the ICANN Board of Directors.  While we had anticipated starting the public comment period prior to IETF 101, we found that we needed to extend the call for volunteers a short amount. We now expect to solicit the review in the week following IETF 101.

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working on at https://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab. There are some workshop reports still in process: draft-iab-marnew-report-01 is expected to go out for community comment early next week; draft-iab-iotsi-workshop-01 has, unfortunately, been delayed due to illness; and the workshop report for ENAME is in preparation.

The IAB organizes its work, for the most part, into programs.  There are basically two classes: management programs and architectural programs.  The former are how we handle the oversight of various things, and the latter are where we do architectural work.  The former are expected to last as long as the IAB continues to have that oversight function; the latter last until the IAB has come to a conclusion on the relevant group of topics or has decided that the topic needs to be reframed.  Programs are listed at https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/. As a general rule, each architectural program has a public mailing list, as well as a member-specific list.  For subscription instructions, see https://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/. We review these programs periodically.  At IETF 101, we will be reviewing liaison management.

The IAB periodically documents its discussions or conclusions in the form of external statements.  Some of those are informal, such as the recent blog posting on consolidation. Others are more formal, and the IAB has just made one such statement revisiting the issue raised in the IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0.  The new statement reviews the work since the original was posted and asks the designated expert for the relevant IANA registry to examine the Unicode versions which have been published in the intervening time.  We look forward to discussing it with the community at IETF 101.

Lastly, the IAB will be both welcoming Melinda Shore and Christian Huitema as new members during IETF 101 and saying goodbye to Joe Hildebrand and Lee Howard.  We thank all of them for their willingness to serve.

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB