From: Dan Romascanu [mailto:dromasca@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 February 2018 15:23
To: ops-dir@xxxxxxxx
Cc: pce@xxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx; draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type.all@xxxxxxxx; dromasca@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type-08

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Has Issues

I am the assigned OPS-DIR reviewer for this draft. The OPS DIrectorate reviews a great part of the IETF documents being processed by the IESG for the OPS ADs.
Please treat with these comments as with all other IETF LC comments. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

This document is an extension of PCEP to allow for other LSP setup methods than RSVP-TE to be used. For this purpose it defines two new TLVs and details their operation.

This is an extension of an existing protocol. An RFC 5706 review applies.

While the document seems to be focused to developers and implementers of PCEP, it is not clear what is the impact from an operational point of view and there are no considerations related to manageability. Maybe these are detailed in other documents - in this case a reference would be useful.

Jon> The context of this draft is that it generalizes PCEP so that the protocol is not dependent solely on using RSVP-TE as a method for setting up paths.  The document performs this generalization, positioning RSVP-TE as one possible method of path setup, but it stops short of defining any other path setup methods.  Since no new path setup methods are being introduced, the manageability and operational considerations do not really change.  We have simply generalized a part of PCEP to allow other path setup methods (and their manageability considerations) to be defined elsewhere.

Here are a few issues. For a complete list of questions, see Annex A in RFC 5706.

1. Why were these extensions needed? Do they improve efficiency? Are there classes of devices that do not support RSVP-TE and need the new methods?

Jon> This is a pre-requisite step to allow PCEP to be used in networks that use segment routing to define paths.  Segment routing (SR) is a distinct path setup method from RSVP-TE.  It is possible that SR devices might not support RSVP-TE.  The WG took the decision to write one draft to generalize PCEP (this draft) and then to write a separate draft to explain how this generalization is applied to segment routing (draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing).  The latter draft is post-WGLC in the PCE WG and should be catching up with draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type shortly.  Why did we not combine draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type and draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing?  Suppose we invent a third path setup type in future.  It is clearer for implementers that they only need to implement the procedures of draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type in order to prepare the ground for this third path setup type - having one combined draft incorporating SR as well would make this harder.

2. How are the new TLVs going to be deployed and managed? Does an operator have the option of selecting one LSP setup method or the other? How and what are the criteria of selections?

3. There is no discussion about initial setup and configuration. Are there any initial configuration parameters? If yes, how are they set up?

4. Are there any backwards compatibility and migration path issues operators should be aware about?

5. What is the expected impact on network operation?

6. How is correct operation visible to the operators? Are there any fault conditions that need to be reported to operators?

7. Are there any existing management interfaces (e.g. YANG models) that need to be defined or extended?