Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-09.txt> (Network Management Datastore Architecture) to Proposed Standard configuration

This I-D re-arranges the tectonic plates which underly the IETF's
management technology and is likely to affect all such work for some
years to come.  As such, I want it to be clear and unambiguous but do
not find it so.  I find it unclear as to the meaning of the word
'configuration'.

Netconf (and latterly YANG) were instigated to facilitate configuration,
which was narrowly defined as the values that a user might want to
change to get a box from its initial state to its desired state.  What
might have been thought as configuration historically - values learnt
from hardware or the interactions of protocols - was not configuration
but state, latterly referred to as operational state.  This narrow
definition of configuration is reflected in this I-D.

However, working through the 24 definitions that appear under
'Terminology', while the early ones use this narrow definition, by the
time
we get to

"learned configuration: Configuration that has been learned via protocol
interactions "
or

"system configuration: Configuration that is supplied by the device
itself."
the meaning has clearly changed to encompass all the different ways in
which a device can learn a value i.e 'learned configuration' and 'system
configuration' are not configuration as has been understood up until now
in this work.

I think it hard to follow this I-D when this key term seems to have a
variable meaning. I am uncertain what meaning to attribute the word when
it appears in the later text.

Tom Petch