Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-07.txt> (PIM flooding mechanism and source discovery) to Experimental RFC

Hi Toerless

Thanks for very good and supportive feedback. Please see comments inline.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is a very good and in general very well written draft (take the
> two nits described below). I hope we will see more implementation of it
> so that it can evolve from experimental to standards track.
>
> Two suggestions:
>
> a) Textual:
>
>    I would suggest changing the title from
>
>       PIM flooding mechanism and source discovery

>       PIM flooding mechanism (PFM) and PIM source discovery (GSH)
>
>    This is only to make it easier to search for the key introduced protocol TLAs
>    in the RFC index r search engines (PFM & GSH). Especially because the TLA for
>    PIM source discovery defined in this document is not obvious: not PSD but GSH.
>
>    There is also the old? term PFM-SA used in terminology/section-2, which i
>    guess should rather be PFM-GSH (e.g.: PFM-SA is not used in rest of doc).

I understand why you want this, but wouldn't it be confusing to put GSH in the
title as it isn't an acronym or anything. Perhaps it would be better to make the
title

PIM flooding mechanism (PFM) and PIM source announcements

or

PIM flooding mechanism and PIM source announcements (PFM-SA)

The way I see it, the key is that we are doing source discovery, or
announcements.
GSH is just the name of the TLV being used. Hopefully search engines would find
the document since it is in the body, or it might find the IANA
registry. I don't know
if anyone would try to search for GSH. I only intended GSH as a
short-hand internally
in this document.

> b) Context:
>
>    It would IMHO be helpful for candidate adopters and implementors if there
>    was a few more high level explanations re. the relationship of PSM-GSH
>    to other multicast options and what i think the strategic goal or benefits
>    are (which is why the WG was interested in working on it):

Thanks for this! It is in line with my thinking, and I'm happy to add some text
along these lines.

Happy New Year,
Stig