Re: [nfsv4] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-flex-files-15

Hi Christer,

Thanks for the review, replies in line.

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 2:25 AM, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
> Review result: Almost Ready

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-nfsv4-flex-files-15
> Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
> Review Date: 2017-12-21
> IETF LC End Date: 2018-01-16
> IESG Telechat date: 2018-01-25

> However, I think some additional text is needed, as described below.
>
> Major issues: None.
>
> Minor issues: None:
>
> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> Q1:
>
> The Abstract says:
>
>   "The flexible file layout type is defined in this
>   document as an extension to pNFS which allows the use of storage
>   devices in a fashion such that they require only a quite limited
>   degree of interaction with the metadata server, using already
>   existing protocols."
>
> …and the Introduction says:
>
>   "There are different layout types for different storage
>   systems and methods of arranging data on storage devices.  This
>   document defines the flexible file layout type used with file-based
>   data servers that are accessed using the Network File System (NFS)
>   protocols: NFSv3 [RFC1813], NFSv4.0 [RFC7530], NFSv4.1 [RFC5661], and
>   NFSv4.2 [RFC7862].”
>
> But, there is no text about the existing file layout type, and how this file
> layout types will improve things.

It does not have to improve things, it is just a different layout type.

> The Abstract mentions impacts on the
> interactions with the metadata server, but there is no text about that in the
> Introduction.

There is, but perhaps the relationship needs to be explained.

The entire second paragraph is about the interactions with the metadata
server.

> I think a few sentences in the Introduction, describing the
> high-level advantages and changes that the flexible file layout type brings,
> would be good.
>
> Also, the Abstract mentions client mirroring, but there is nothing about that
> in the Introduction.

Both of these were on purpose - I wanted to introduce the terms in Section 1.1
before using them.

I’ll add the high-level summary, including client side mirroring.

> Q2:
>
> Is section 2 specific to the flexible file layout type, or is it about pNFS in
> general? I think it would good to have a sentence describing the scope of the
> section.

It starts out general for all pNFS and covered more specifically in [pNFSLayouts].

And having said that, I disagree with it immediately.

I can point the reader to [pNFSLayouts] and paint the scope as to how
FlexFiles will address this issue.