Re: 20 versions in 31 minutes?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unless we have gotten so tangled up by our tools as to make
> doing sensible things entirely impossible, I would assume that a
> simple explanation and requiest to the Secretariat would have
> permitted posting an I-D with a chosen non-consecutive sequence
> number as long as sequence numbers remained monotone increasing.

Under the old ID submit tools that might have been possible, but we use the same tools to post drafts now that the community does, and I am given to understand (and told the original requestor, when their original ticket got escalated to me) that we did not have that ability.

Even were I to modify the database by hand, I assume that such a modification would break the Datatracker in glorious ways.

(And, moreover, I'm sure that the community would have noticed the gap, and mentioned it, just as they noticed the many duplicates.)

I referred them to the Tools Team to discuss this as a possible enhancement.

I agree there should be a good way to handle this.

Glen