Re: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC

I concur with most of Stephane’s comments. And I find the use of the term “pervasive encryption” very problematic. Pervasive means:

“(especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.”

More encryption is never unwelcome to the enduser.

If this document listed these practises, along with valid methods for operators to switch to, i could be convinced the document is useful. But as Stephane pointed out, a lot of these problems are desired features. That the operator has less networking debugging tools is an unavoidable side effect, but should not be used as an argument against more encryption.

But in its current form, it seems this document would be prime candidate for operator misbehaviour justification “sanctioned” by the IETF.

Note that I _do_ believe in the authors’ good intention of just documenting the new problems operators face. But the IETF will have taken these issues into consideration already before it published the RFCs.

This documents feels (unintentionally) that we need to go back to be drawing board to reconsider these operator issues.

Paul