Re: letting IETF build on top of Open Source technology

Let us not forget that a number of significant Internet protocols are based on open-source work (though not always called that).

We can start with the early TCP/IP reference implementations.  And then there's the web - HTTP pretty much co-evolved with early browsers & daemons.

Isn't the issue more one of underlying design philosophy & intent?  Which comes first - the architecture & the protocol or the software?

Personally, I don't think it's an issue of the IETF "building on top of Open Source technology," it's a matter of educating developers to think in terms of protocol architectures & standards. (Something that I think we, as network & protocol developers have woefully failed to do - and that our professional organizations, like ISOC, should be doing more of.)

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra