Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On 29/10/17 01:31, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Good point.  My personal bugaboo is the resurgence of walled
> gardens.  A platform that connected us is now dividing us. Which
> suggests: NO WALLED GARDENS.

Walled gardens are icky. A futile attempt to design Internet
protocols so as to make walled gardens impossible would be
worse.

I do think Keith makes a good point below though, but am not
sure if a change to a vision statement would help there. (Mind
you, I'm generally allergic to vision and mission statements,
so I'm not really the right person to talk to about this;-)

I also like the idea of promoting privacy and freedom of
expression to be first class elements of what we're doing.

Somewhat along the lines of Keith's "empowerment" idea, I'd
suggest also adding something to the effect that we/ISOC want
the outcome to include always providing individual people with
a meaningful level of control over their own experience of
the Internet.

I won't attempt wordsmithing of the above.

Cheers,
S.