Re: Responses to questions about the new IETF privacy statement

Hi John,

On 19/10/17 23:08, John R Levine wrote:
> The IAOC published a new privacy statement last month, which is now
> available at
> https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETFPrivacyStatement2017-07-12.pdf
>
> We got a few questions on the draft version.

You mean the draft from a year and a half ago I guess? The
process of responding to comments on that was far from ideal
IMO. I guess we ought consider that kind of process issue
in the iasa2 discussions, so don't need to revisit that now.

I still have comments on this version FWIW.

A diff would have been good. Apologies if I'm commenting
on text that didn't change.

- "These mailing lists are clearly indicated as non-public
in their registration materials." I'm not sure that's true.

- "The parties may also share some Personal Data with the
Internet Society so that it can fulfill its role of ensuring
financial support for the Parties by exploring sponsorship
or hosting possibilities." Huh? What information is "shared"
like that?

- Cloudflare: I couldn't see any privacy link at the URL
given (https://www.cloudflare.com/). (Note: I use noscript
so it could be in some JS stuff I didn't run.)

- Cloudflare: what in fact do Cloudflare record/track about
IETF web site visitors?

- "Our websites are not intended for use by children under
13 years old." That's still wrong. If it said "not specifically
designed for" or "not targeted at" that'd be ok. Yes, you
might come back to me and say "COPPA" but IMO that's not a
good answer to a comment that the quoted sentence is untrue.
It is untrue because we do not take any action to prevent
under-13's from using the web site which is how I'd interpret
"not intended for" - that's perhaps a US-English issue, not
sure.

S.