Re: Artart last call review of draft-ietf-mile-rolie-10

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen.moriarty.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll review and see if the WG participants can as well.  I think there will be many applications to follow with high security requirements and no tolerance for replay attacks.

That is true, but it's not clear to me that this is a protocol that is
intolerant of replay.  AtomPub follows a pattern that limits exposure
fairly well.  The primary thing to safeguard in ROLIE is the
confidentiality of the content, and replay won't generally compromise
that.  The sorts of things you might see is duplicate resource
creation (we recommend against POST in early data for that reason; we
also recommend against PUT), and the sort of traffic analysis and
timing side channel information that reveals if resources exist or
have been updated (which shouldn't be an issue here).