Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sunset4-ipv6-ietf-01.txt> (IETF: End Work on IPv4) to Proposed Standard

On 05/10/2017 01:38, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 9/29/2017 6:48 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> First of all, I agree with those who have said this should be
>> a BCP, if published. BCPs are the way we publish IETF process
>> rules.
> A BCP with the right tone and focus might be useful.
>
>> Secondly, I think many of the comments about the tone and slant
>> are correct. What we want to stop is work on solutions that
>> are *specific* to IPv4, and to chase down and elminate any
>> cases where successful IPv6 operation depends on the presence
>> of IPv4.
>
> I disagree.
>
> We need to consider IPv4 work as "maintenance mode", which can easily
> include solo IPv4 adjustments and/or include IPv4 support in new
> protocols that also support IPv6. Neither necessarily need involve
> transition or deprecation.

I'm not sure that we disagree modulo wordsmithing. Saying that IPv4
is in maintenance mode is fine. Security and bug fixes are clearly
maintenance.

> "no new work" or "no IPv4-specific work" both assume that IPv6 is a
> superset of IPv4, which it is not.

I don't see that assumption either stated or implied. If there are
features missing in IPv6, that's a completely separate topic.

> We're still wrangling with aspects of
> IPv6 that actually are evolving back into IPv4-like approaches, e.g.,
> limits to the length of the header chain and problems supporting
> fragment traversal of routers.

I don't see what that has to do with the draft under discussion.

Regards
   Brian