Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sunset4-ipv6-ietf-01.txt> (IETF: End Work on IPv4) to Proposed Standard

As I have said before, I think that it would be a mistake to make this declaration.

A lot of the world still relies heavily on IPv4, and many countries would rightly regard IPv4 as critical national infrastructure.

If the IETF announces that it is no longer supporting IPv4, then those countries would have every right to demand that the ITU-T took over responsibility for IPv4 development and maintenance of the protocol. If that happened you would naturally expect them to extend its life, perhaps even creating a viable competitor to IPv6 with all of the difficulty and confusion that would then result.

Whilst I think the elements of the ID that talk about ensuring that every protocol can run in an IPv6 only network are useful, although much stated in the past, I think that it would be a serious mistake to give any appearance of abandoning IPv4.

- Stewart