Re: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-18

Attempting to unify the order of quoted messages (then bottom posting)...

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 01:37:17PM -0400, Andrew G. Malis wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> >> I think the security section should list the threats clearly before
> >> proposing mitigations. If you don't do that, implementers typically
> >> treat the mitigation advice as optional, something that some committee
> >> stuck there and that can be ignored.
> >>
> >> Your point about third party contractors receiving privacy sensitive
> >> information is not new. Yes, there can be legitimate business reasons to
> >> provide information to third parties. But this normally goes with
> >> contractual obligations regarding the handling of the data, such as for
> >> what purpose, how it is protected by the third party, for how long it is
> >> kept, how and when it shall be deleted, and whether it can be provided
> >> further. This means that when such information is transmitted, the
> >> transmission should be deliberate rather than inadvertent. As in, if the
> >> contract with a third party does not require sending an specific piece
> >> of metadata, it should not be sent.
> >>
> >> -- Christian Huitema
> >>

> > Christian, in terms of a Service Function sharing data with someone
> > outside, I do not see how the NSH spec can talk about intended vs
> > inadvertent sharing.
> > We do need to note that a subverted SF can make modifications or transmit
> > information the specification and the operator do not intend. We are
> > working to add that to the security considerations.
> >
> > But that seems to be considerably less than you are asking for.
> > While we are going to add text to be more explicit about the weaknesses, I
> > doubt very much it will rise to the level of a good quality threat analysis.
> >
> > Yours,
> > Joel
> >

> Christian,
>
> I don’t think it’s necessary to have an exhaustive list of possible
> threats, I mean if network equipment or a network function is subverted,
> then most any protocol is subject to every kind of threat there is -
> confidential  information can be disclosed, header fields can be modified,
> packets can be dropped, routing failures can occur, and so on. But you
> don’t see this level of analysis in most any other protocol spec coming out
> the IETF. Why is this one different? We already know that many bad things
> can happen as a result of subversion or tapping, I think the best advice we
> can give is “operationally avoid situations that would enable subversion or
> tapping." Your comment reminds me of a recent series of Dilbert cartoons,
> where a technical writer was assigned a project to list every possible
> warning for a new product. The warning document ended up 700 pages long and
> included items such as ‘Don’t start a fight with a rabid raccoon while
> using this product”.

Where did the conception of "exhaustive" come from?  The request that
I am seeing could be restated as a desire to address the chain of thought
that a reader of the document might have, namely "you are telling me to
apply (some of) these protections, and make a judgment about which measures
are appropriate; what do I need to consider in order to make that judgment?".

That is, in the -23 Security Considerations we have:

%   NSH is always encapsulated in a transport encapsulation protocol (as
%   detailed in Section 4 of this specification); and, therefore, when
%   required, existing security protocols that provide authenticity
%   (e.g., [RFC6071]) can be used.  Similarly, if confidentiality is
%   required, existing encryption protocols can be used in conjunction
%   with the NSH encapsulation.

How do I tell when authenticity protection is required?  How do I know
when confidentiality is required?

Or later on,

%   In order to protect the metadata, an
%   operator can utilize the aforementioned mechanisms provided by the
%   transport encapsulation protocols including authenticity and/or
%   confidentiality.  An operator MUST carefully select the transport
%   encapsulation/underlay services to ensure end-to-end security
%   services, when those are desired.
%   [...]
%   Further, as described
%   under the "SFC Encapsulation" area of the Security Considerations of
%   [RFC7665], operators can and should use indirect identification for
%   metadata deemed to be sensitive (such as personally identifying
%   information) significantly mitigating the risk of privacy violation.
%   In particular, subscriber identifying information should be handled
%   carefully, and in general should be obfuscated.
%   [...]
%   For those situations where
%   obfuscation is either inapplicable or judged to be insufficient, an
%   operator can also encrypt the metadata.

When should I desire end-to-end security?  How do I tell what metadata
is sensitive?  When is obfuscation insufficient?

Anyone implementing this document would need to come up with answers
to those questions, and one could argue that the IETF has a duty to
help them decide what to consider during the course of answering those
questions.  So no, we do not need to say "don't start a fight with a
rabid racoon, whether or not you're using this product", but we presumably
had some sort of threat in mind when introducing the suggestions to
require authenticity, or confidentiality, or obfuscation.  Is it so hard
to give a few examples of these threats that inspired the proposed
mitigations?  Let's give the reader a better understanding of why we
think these mitgations might be necessary -- not an exhaustive one,
but a few big-picture threats.

So yes, that could be things like

* consider what attackers could tap your data lines (read, or write),
  whether your organization as a whole has a hope of defending against
  such attackers, and what impact that attacker could have with the
  capability to read and/or write such data

* consider what potential impact there is of a configuration error that
  causes encapsulated packets to erroneously leave the administrative
  domain and escape to an external network; what impact would an attacker
  able to read packets on that external network have?

* consider what potential impact there is of a configuration error that
  causes perimeter best practices to not be enforced (including BCP 38);
  what potential impact is there of an attacker being able to inject
  spoofed packets in this scenario?

* [other suggestions here]

Clearly, for some implementors/deployments, it may be reasonable to
decide that an attacker with this sort of capabilities would be able
to harm the organization in boundless other ways, so there is no
value in protecting this one channel.  But I do not expect that to
universally be the decision.

At risk of repeating myself (and Christian) -- giving me a list of
potential mitigations without letting me know what they are supposed
to mitigate is just giving me half of the question, and asking me to
come up with an answer.  Why not give me the rest of the question I
have to answer?

-Ben