Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

Carsten, actually I think the main deciding factor was that text file presentations of RFCs are notionally legacy, not current.   No sensible person reads an ASCII RFC, because the typography is terrible.   So we don't have to care about this: in the long run, the ASCII RFC is dead anyway.

The reason I jumped on your bandwagon is that I actually agree with you that the IETF is sending a message by doing this, and I agree that it's the wrong message.   It would be nice if we could craft a solution that works for naive users of ASCII RFCs, and is comprehensible to non-naive users like Adam.

But if we don't get sufficient consensus to talk Heather out of this policy, the earth will continue to rotate around the sun.   :)