Re: RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters

On 2017/09/16 02:31, Denis Ovsienko wrote:

One thing I vaguely remember in related documents from around 2013 was that Unicode in the document text and in any person/organization names was supposed to have a 2nd ASCII version as a backup, does it still stand? Because in this RFC the Acknowledgements section does not provide a backup spelling for Martin Dürst. Not a big issue, just curious.

I think the ASCII backup rule is for authors, because these need to be cross-linked with older RFCs,... For the Acks section, it's not that big a deal for Latin characters. Serious publications such as from the ACM or the IEEE since ages don't use fallbacks for Latin characters at all even for authors. It would be different for Greek, Chinese, Arabic,... names.

Regards,   Martin.