Re: "airborne wireless network" - anybody know anything about these folks?

Le 14/08/2017 à 06:30, Miles Fidelman a écrit :
Hi Folks,

Anybody know anything about these folks: http://www.airbornewirelessnetwork.com/index.asp

I came across an ad from them, in an in-flite magazine - they claim
to be developing a flying mesh network, with nodes hanging off
commercial airliners.  (More like an investment pitch than a
technical ad, backed by a web site that was more sizzle than
substance.)

It sure seems like a neat concept, and they seem to have some
serious airline industry connections - but a bit light on the
technology side.

They also make a lot of a patent they have - but it seems to be stuff
 that we've all seen before in tactical networking and some of the
Air Force's airborne network initiatives.

Anyway... anybody know these folks?  Are they for real?

Mesh, and on flight, is a complex and at times unclear concept.

While at the gate, I would invite passengers the thrill to access the WiFi of the nearby plane. Some planes have WiFi on board.

From there, plane-to-plane communications are easy to establish on cheap
WiFi.  Unpatented IP protocols exist for 1-hop network-to-network
communication establishment.

From there, same IP tech could be applied to laser and other media.

Alex

Miles Fidelman

p.s. Also of possible interest: These folks: https://www.analyticalspace.com - are about to launch a constellation
of LEO cubesats, also with the intent of doing high bandwidth mesh
networking, with laser up/downlinks to customers - no need for big
ground stations.  They seem a lot more substantial - Draper Labs tie
 in and such.