Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-06

Hi Pete,

On 8/21/17, 11:40 AM, "Pete Resnick" <presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Reviewer: Pete Resnick
>Review result: Almost Ready
>
>I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
>Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
>by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
>like any other last call comments.
>
>For more information, please see the FAQ at
>
><https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
>Document: draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-06
>Reviewer: Pete Resnick
>Review Date: 2017-08-21
>IETF LC End Date: 2017-08-28
>IESG Telechat date: 2017-08-31

>The content of this document is fine. However, I think the IANA registry
>stuff
>is not ready.
>
>Major issues:
>
>I think the registrations other than for Endpoint and Color are incorrect
>and
>should not be in this document. Certainly the "Reference" field for 1, 2,
>5, 6,
>and 7 should not be "This document", given that the syntax and semantics
>for
>these values are defined in other documents.

The authors can fix these.

> I also think that having things in
>this registry which are also used by the BGP registry is asking for
>trouble:
>You wouldn't want the references for the two registries to get out of
>sync.
>This seems like a mess to me. Would it be possible for IANA to simply
>rename
>the "BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute Sub-TLVs" registry to "BGP and
>OSPF
>Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute Sub-TLVs", and share the registry between
>the
>two protocols? Then have this (and other) document(s) add values to that
>registry. That way, the documents that actually define the codepoints can
>be
>put into the registry.

We’ve already had a protracted discussion on the IANA registries. It is
not possible as BGP advertises some of the attributes in BGP communities
rather than tunnel attributes (e.g., color).

Thanks,
Acee