Re: Scope for self-destructing email?

--On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 13:32 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> More seriously, how could you have any confidence at all that
>> unauthorized (or even "lawful intercept") copies of the
>> message would be deleted?
>
> You can't. I have destroyed Message-ID:
> <CACZ1GipivEf31iHchaM1OPFQF4QkfVRGVNsY_vVx=J8oFZ0JZA@xxxxxxxxx
> l.com>. Is that true? How do you know it's true?

Even if I had some way to verify that your statement about your
actions were true and that what you meant by "destroyed"
included any backup copies you might have kept as a side-effect
of other operations or procedures, there is no way that you can
guarantee that Google has destroyed it too.   Indeed, prior to
the recent change in Gmail policy, I one could infer that they
had not and would not until whatever information it was
contained were deemed of no relevance.

   john