Re: Someone at Amazon fix this NOW

> The seller knew s system. When I made the order, they shipped a box of
> baking maps s address in Gilberts, Illinois, and then used the tracking
> number for my order.to S

So, to put this into something that IETFers can deal with, this would have
been detectable automatically if USPS had sent a signed artifact to Amazon
(or if such a thing was retrievable via the tracking order) that Amazon could
have compared with the correct destination address.

If this IETFs' direct problem?  Not entirely; we have 20yr old protocols for
signing various objects, although PHB knows better than any how unsuccessful
we have been at getting them used.

If anything it outlines the gap between publishing an RFC and getting it
meaningful deployed.  There is a gap in there for motivated early adopters
(such as governments, via procurement) and industry and government to adopt.
I don't understand, for instance, why S/MIME isn't a mandated (by law
societies) standard for emails between lawyers. Instead, we have the silly
disclaimers.

Maybe this is an IASA2 discussion: how could we engage (and collect fees)
From a more diverse set of "stakeholders", such that they'd care when/if we
actual solved their problems.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works