Re: Announcement on IETF 100 Hotel Reservations

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF
<spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to all who are posting in this thread.
>
> I haven't been to Singapore previously, so have questions, and I'm seeing a
> lot of answers I expected to have to dig for (hoping they would be in the
> wiki, but bracing myself for Le Google).

My few tips:
1: Bring a number of cooling / wicking t-shirts -- I like the " 32
Degrees Cool" ones - Costco generally has a 2 pack for $9.99 (this is
only helpful if you live in the USA and have a costco membership :-P
). I'd go for a walk outside, and then rinse it in the shower. They
dry quickly and a then fine for going out later in the day.

2: Bring a sun hat

3: Drink lots of water!

4: When I first travelled to Singapore (and was jetlagged!) I was
surprised how many people made very straight queues to cross the road
-- and then I figured out that they were actually just standing in the
shade of the lamppost :-)

5: In spite of the heat / humidity (and my built in insulation!),
Singapore is one of my favorite places -- from the hotel it is an easy
walk to a number of different areas, including Little India, Chinatown
and Arab Street.
There is a large variety of architectures, many sights, lots of
interesting food, etc. Prices are reasonable, I've never felt unsafe,
everyone is pleasant, etc. As with anywhere, try to be respectful of
cultural norms and you'll have a great time.
Oh, the hotel complex is over a mall
(http://www.rafflescity.com.sg/store-guide/) with some great food
court offerings, including a Din Tai Fung
(http://www.dintaifung.com.sg/) -- when I was there for an ICANN
meeting I ate there ~12 times in 9 days :-)

> Spencer
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Randy Bush <randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > I note that there are transit hotels in the airport, this might make
>> > sense to get some sleep after I arrive.
>>
>> i have used the changi transit hotels a fair bit.  they're functional.
>> be sure to visit the butterfly garden!
>>
>> randy

idea in the first place.
of pants.