Re: More and more virtual interims

Hi, John.

I agree that over-emphasizing virtual interim meetings has its drawbacks, but I’d like to push back on your first point.

> On 19 Jul 2017, at 21:15, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> During the plenary, there was a strong pitch made for a
> significantly increased number of virtual meetings, maybe even
> every few weeks..  I want to play devil's advocate and point out
> the downsides:
>
> (1) We have usually thought that the IETF is at its best when
> the vast majority of participants are designers, implementers,
> and people with primary product responsibility rather than, at
> the other extreme, professional standardizers.  For at least
> some organizations, having to commit regular blocks of time (or
> very long blocks of time) to specific standards work will
> trigger the same sorts of "are those people too valuable to do
> this or can we commit fewer or less valuable people" reviews
> that are sometimes triggered by meetings in resorts or other
> exotic and/or other places that are perceived as exceptionally
> expensive or attractive to tourists.

Note that this is about virtual interim meetings, or as non-IETF people call them - conference calls. Blocking out one or two hours every two to three weeks is not that big a deal to employers. There is no travel approval, no flight, no hotel, no several day absence, no expense report. It’s a phone call (or Webex or some kind of WebRTC thing). This is nothing compared to a F2F meeting, where I’m gone for 5 days and have probably spent a total of one more day on all the stuff around that.

Your points about cross-fertilization and English stand, but a virtual interim is a far cheaper way (for all participants and their employers) to get a 1- or 2-hour slot for a WG meeting.

Yoav