Re: the terms "priority" and "precedence"

On 18/07/2017 23:54, Michael Richardson wrote:

> We have many places in protocols where we want to express some ordering of
> pieces of information.  We call these fields priority or precedence or

Just a side note: in the design of diffserv we paid a lot of attention
to that choice of words. You might care to read section 4.2.1 of RFC2474,
which could be summarised as precedence != priority. I think there is
quite some subtlety in this area, and not so much randomness in the choices.

   Brian