Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

The response is not "we don't care about the people who do the work."   It is "people who do the work have a really awesome tool to use, the datatracker, so they don't need IETF.org to address their use case."

So a better approach to this, if you feel the datatracker is not actually addressing your needs, your efforts would be better aimed at working that issue.   I think at the moment the side bar on datatracker has everything that you need that was in the sidebar on ietf.org.

So can you say what is missing here?

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) <chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been to many meetings (my first was IETF 55), though not very recently. And you can get to meetings off the leftmost panel too in about the same time.

> The new site is focused not on the existing people active in the IETF. It’s focused on the general public.

Let the general public have three quarters of the page. Let us have the other quarter.

> The place where work gets done these days is datatracker.

And that's one of the places one can easily get to. But there are others too. But sorry, this is not the sort of response that's useful - don't care about people doing the work  (I'm just trying to finish my fifteenth RFC as an author) and what works for them. And "you don't come to meetings" as a dismissive comment isn't helpful either. In addition there's an inherent contradiction in your comments. If the page is intended for the general public, who really don't come to meetings, then the value you currently see in the right hand part of the page about meetings will also go. (And meetings are a place for work that isn't the datatracker.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 3300 467500  |  E: chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP