Re: Need for secured email delegation workflow

> On 15 Jul 2017, at 1:36, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This is part of a wider issue. Even without delegation, if I use my own
>> email account with several MUAs (say, my laptop and my phone), where is
>> the private key stored? Is it shared between laptop and phone?
>
> I think that simple delegation would be a better tool to delegate email
> access from my desktop to my phone and/or laptop.  That way the server
> knows it's an anciliary device, it could be revoked easier, and a more
> suspicious profile could be applied by servers.   Google has tried to
> do this with the "App passwords", but my understanding is that they still
> not restricted to specific apps.  Just additional passwords that have
> most access, but not password resetting access.
>
> OpenPGP format permits a (public) key blog on contain many signing (sub)keys,
> and so distributing a public key with a set of subkeys where the private
> keys are stored into laptops and phones, etc. would work.
>
>> You end up reading encrypted mail only using one MUA, which is one more
>> thing dragging the use of S/Mime down.
>
> Agreed; I'm not sure if PKIX has a subkey concept.  I suspect it's in a
> standard, but I'm unclear if it was ever deployed.

That works OK for signatures, but for encryption?  You’d have to encrypt the message with each subkey.  Yeah, I know only the symmetric key gets encrypted but it’s still ugly.

And we haven’t even mentioned the web MUA and where it stores the private keys.