Re: Need for secured email delegation workflow

On 7/13/2017 9:24 PM, John R Levine wrote:
Definition: Email Delegation will be the workflow in which a user is able
to send emails on behalf of another user. A general example will be a
secretary replying back to emails which his/her boss received.

Oh, OK.  This is rather outside the scope of IETF standards.

Except that that scenario was exactly the reason for the rfc5322.Sender (originally rfc733.Sender) distinction from the rfc5322.From field. See Section 3.6.2, which still has this explained in those terms.

So it hasn't been specified with authentication protections -- and it's not clear that we now how to provide that granularity at scale, or rather there is pretty strong operational demonstration that we do /not/ know how -- but it has already been done as a semantic. 40 years ago, this year, with periodic renewals...

The problem now is that the construct has mostly been moved to the 'via' hack in the <display-name> field.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking