Re: new DNS classes

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 11:27:45AM -0700, william manning wrote:
> You need a better imagination then.   mDNS is a crippled DNS implementation
> that was hobbled on purpose.   HS was/is an entirely different addressing
> scheme that emerged from project Athena @ MIT.  To the extent that when all
> you have been given is the IN class and it's associated rooted hierarchy,
> you first,second,&third inclination is to treat EVERYTHING as being easily
> integrated into that model.  And the ietf is going to go right along with
> you.   After all, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a
> nail.

Did you read what I wrote??

The thing I'm having trouble imagining is distinct from the things that
you list that I also listed (and then lecture about as if I had no idea
what they were).  A peer-to-peer DNS might be mDNS-like without whatever
crippling you have in mind, but it's still difficult to imagine how to
organize a coherent Internet around it.  And as to web of trust, I don't
see how that would work either.  You decry my lack of imagination but
provide none of your own.

Nico