Re: 5G and Internet Technology

Dear Jari and Jeff,

Thank you for the article! Indeed it covers a topic that will lead a lot of the future developments in the networking world.

As you point out, the 5G communication platform should also accommodate low-power IoT devices, and with this I would add - low-power networks. The convergence of the high-throughput networks with high-density, very-low throughput ones is also a thing which I think is part of the 5G paradigm. There are already works in this direction at the 3GPP - NB-IoT, LTE-M1, LTE-M0. There are other technologies as well - which I believe could also be a part of the future 5G world. I think that an important piece of this convergence that is worth mentioning is the work done at the LPWAN WG.

For the moment we have not explicitly considered 5G-specific requirements, but I think this is something we should look at. Thanks again, for starting the discussion!

Best,
Alexander

LPWAN WG Co-Chair