RE: Yangdoctors early review of draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-06

Hi Bert,

Thanks very much for the review.  Some thoughts in-line...

> From: Bert Wijnen, May 16, 2017 8:38 AM
>
> Reviewer: Bert Wijnen
> Review result: On the Right Track
>

> - last para of sect 3.5.
>   This seems to me to make it difficult to create interoperable
>   implementations. Or is there a way for a client to figure out what
>   is or is not support, other than tryal and error?

Minimal XPATH syntax support is really a subscription independent issue.  At this time, I am not aware of anyone attempting to constrain which XPATH capabilities should be the minimum set for the industry.  One of the reasons is that going with a minimum common denominator for a high volume information set  (like routing changes) might constrain the availability of low volume, high value filters (like configuration changes).     I would very much welcome someone who wanted to attempt work in this area.   As David Waltermire said to me on this topic today, it might be possible to identify a minimum XPATH filter capability set for various roles in the network element.  But this is non-trivial work.

For now, I am assuming any vendor will be able to articulate what the syntax capabilities are for their platforms.  And they can do outside the standards arena.  A good way to do this would be to pre-populate example filters in the "filters" objects.

> - page 41:
>
>      /* YANG Parser Pyang crashing on the following syntax below
>
>   So does the definition get skipped? Or what needs to happen here?

There is a coming in pyang 1.7.2 which fixes the bug...
https://github.com/mbj4668/pyang/issues/300

See
https://github.com/mbj4668/pyang/commit/b891cc3dd3a4547f9eddd83882e9872bc2066c6d

All we need to do is await the new version.

> Consistency
>
> - last bullet on page 7 talks about "YANG subtrees". I do not see that term
>   in netconf or yang documents. Those just talk about "subtrees".
> Maybe I am
>   not looking good enough?

Will remove the word YANG

> - top of page 8 I see the words "xpath", "Xpath" and "XPath"
>   is there a difference?

No.  Will fix.

> Nits

Nice catches.  Will fix the items below.

Eric