Re: Registration for remote participation

IETF Chair <chair@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The IESG is soliciting community feedback on a proposal to require
> registration for remote participants at IETF meetings...
>
> Registration would be mandatory to access MeetEcho sessions in real
> time and to join the remote mic queue during a session...
>
> Upon registering, participants would be issued a registration ID, just
> as they are today.
>
> To join a session, participants would be asked to input the
> registration ID.

   These "registration IDs" are hard to remember. That's why I joined so
many sessions "without rugistration ID".

> The same email-based facility that is currently available to retrieve
> a forgotten registration ID would continue to be available.

   This is not practical unless you allow joining enough before the start
of session to complete the process.

> The cookie-based ???Remember me??? option would also still be available.

   Would you believe some of us avoid cookies?

> Other options for authentication (leveraging a user-chosen password or
> datatracker credentials) might be explored further in the future.

   I strongly advise considering them before disallowing registration
without registration ID.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>