Re: [art] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-core-links-json-07

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:59 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Apr 25, 2017, at 18:46, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have a specific problem in mind?
>
> This work was done half a decade ago (May 18, 2012, that is), so I don’t remember all the details.
> RFC 6690 says:
>
>   In
>   order to convert an HTTP Link Header field to this link format, first
>   the "Link:" HTTP header is removed, any linear whitespace (LWS) is
>   removed, the header value is converted to UTF-8, and any percent-
>   encodings are decoded.

Well, that's broken.

> So we get rid of all that fun before it becomes RFC 6690 (and CoAP of course is all UTF-8 in any case).
>
> So far, we have run into one real case where that approach is a limitation, and that is in URIs:
>
> The link
>
> coap://example.com?stupid%3Dkey=4711
>
> is not distinguishable from
>
> coap://example.com?stupid=key=4711
>
> (The typical reaction of an implementer is “then don’t do that!” [1,2].)

That isn't a "limitation".  It's a bug to decode pct-encoded octets in
a URI before decomposing the reference into its parts.  ASCII is already
in UTF-8.  Decoding a pct-encoding doesn't make it "more UTF-8"; it just
means the string is no longer a URI reference.  That's broken.  So utterly
broken that it obviously wasn't reviewed by the right people.

> We know that because the CoAP protocol itself also completely runs in the UTF-8 domain (there is no percent encoding on the wire); I’m not sure that simplification actually hurt in RFC 6690 use cases yet.

*sigh*

....Roy